BAC

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Learn Something New Everyday!

I learned a new word the other day: Avascular Necrosis.

My Rheumatologist, Dr. Wu, saw me the other day. First off, I should tell you that she was none too pleased with me. She actually scolded me. So not nice. I mean, I know I was wrong, but come on...don't kick me when I am down!

Wait, perhaps I should tell you what is going on. So my hip is STILL bothering me, and it has only become worse. I was getting to the point where I couldn't put any pressure on it, and therefore out came the crutches. I have been on them for over a week. I knew I had a doctors appointment coming up, so I didn't call my Rheumy to inform her of the excruciating pain I was in...I figured we could discuss it when I got there later in the week.

Well, that was apparently where I went wrong.

She told me that the pain in my hip is not a normal RA pain like I have with flares. It is most likely caused by avascular necrosis, or bone death. Yep, I said bone DEATH.

Avascula necrosis is bone death caused by poor blood supply to the area. It is most common in the hip and shoulder. Mine is my right hip. I asked her what caused it. She replied most likely the prednisone I have been on for the last three years. Great!!

I then asked her how they treat it. She replied that a total hip replacement is the only real treatment, but I need an XRay and an MRI to confirm. I think this is when I started to swallow my tongue. There are no other options?? Well, apparently we need to determine how far progressed the bone has died and decomposed on itself to determine the course of treatment. They can inject it with a steroid if I am still in the early stages (fingers and toes crossed for this option) or possibly do a bone graft to the area to promote the bone to regrow and begin living again.

But I will be on crutches for at least the next six weeks she informed me, because she wants me to stay off of it. GREAT!! There went my summer.

I cried all the way home from the doctor's office, but now I am at the point of laughing about it. I mean, what else could possibly go wrong? I know I shouldn't ask that, because there are LOTS of things that could be worse, but you know what I mean. COME ON!! REALLY??

Oh well. I guess so I wait to see what happens. I go for my MRI on Monday. Then once those results are back, we will know more. So I will not freak out until then.

So wishing you all good health and humor!!

1 comment: